Skip to main content

Making of 'Lack Of Luck'

Game creation journey of  lack of luck.


On 26 March 2020 I published my game Lack Of Luck on itch.io  it was a submission for Weekly Game Jam-week 141 which is a game creation event in which game devs from all over the world have to create a game in specific time constraints along with the specific theme.



This week the theme was 'Good Luck'.And the time limit was of 6 days.

When i saw the theme I thought of making a table top game in which the decision is made randomly
and if you are lucky enough then you will win.
But this idea was very common and I many of the people will make the same kind of thing.
So again I was back to were I started  later I thought of several ideas but most of them were not much interesting and others were very time consuming and could not  be completed in time.
So the first day was wasted I gone to sleep with zero progress.

On next day I was filled with ideas and then I decide to make a platformer in which our we are playing as a spirit locked in the world of darkness and bad luck and to free ourself from this world you have to collect some good luck charms present in some places in this dark world.

So I started to create some art works for my game ,first I made the environment of the dark world


as every thing was black it was quick and easy but I also wanted some color in the game so I added some glowing plants in the environment which look very good and matches very well with the game.

I also created sprites for check points, platforms and lucky charms for obstacles I used a asset from opengameart how ever I had to edit it to fit with the environment.

With this done I made the world in which the player will play and find charms ,also  I added some obstacles and implemented the movement of saws and other obstacles a it don't need any scripts.

And by the time it was time to go for sleep so I left the project with some progress.



 On third day I had a platform and obstacles but there was no main character.So I decided to work on it first I thought of making a  warrior who have a sword and who fights with the enemies to get those charms.

However I dropped that idea and decided to make a weak spirit who can't fight and struggles to get those charms. Also I wanted to make it dark just to maintain the feel.

It took my whole day creating the animation sprites and creating a movement script and also adding other scripts for game.

It started to look like a playable game and only some minor tweaks were needed to complete the game.

I couldn't work on the game on fourth day ,due to some reasons.



On fifth day it was the last day and next day was the submission , so I worked for whole day
and completed the game , lastly I added some music to my game but it a lot of time to find good music and I had no time to get sound effects to the game , and the day ended.

On sixth day it was the day of submission but there were some things left , I added a material to my player ,but forgot to reduce friction which resulted into some weird movements but it was fixed later.
After I added some particle effects to the charm to make it fee good it too a bit of time but the game was completed in time , and I submitted my game 1 hour before deadline.


The game is available on itch.io ,it is an WebGL game , you can play the this game using the link or box below.

https://gamemakersp.itch.io/lack-of-luck

             OR


Thankyou for reading my experience in making this game hope you have enjoyed.

Comments